Monday, May 2, 2011

When You Get a Bad Chocolate Craving...

Make this!


I am not one to count calories, I don't diet either... We only live once, why waste my time stressing over what I should and should not eat. When I want to eat something, I just go ahead and make it or go buy it. Last night I had a really bad craving for chocolate, but I didn't want to dive into the un-opened package of Oreo Fudgees in my pantry. (Those are really good by the way! They are good dunked in coffee.) So I looked through my overloaded [with recipes] clipboard. And down at the very bottom of the pile, I found a recipe I had printed out months ago!!! 

FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE. I remember I printed it out because one of the Food Network cooks made one, but I didn't like it because she put spicy stuff in it... and I like my chocolate cakes sweet and decadent, NOT SPICY. So I scoured the internet for a recipe (without spicy things of course) and found one that got lost in the pile and got forgotten. 

So last night, when I found it, I just had to make it. I even drove in the rain to get the makings for it. I didn't need much. I just needed butter because I had used up all my butter to make swiss meringue buttercream to store in the fridge for future use. :)

Here's another look at this chocolatey heaven I made... John ate it his with moose tracks ice cream.  He was very very pleased. And I especially LOVED it. Sure gave me my chocolate fix!

Click here for a printer-friendly version of the recipe.



FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE
Adapted from About.com
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Oven: 350 degrees
Cake:
8 1-ounce squares coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
¾ cup sugar
3 large eggs
½ cup cocoa
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Glaze:
3 1-ounce squares coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate squares
1 ½ Tbsp unsalted butter
1 ½ tsp milk 
1 ½ tsp honey
⅛ tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350.
Spray a 7-inch tart pan, in my case I used an 8-inch spring form pan. You can use any pan that has a removable bottom. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and spray the paper. 
Melt 6 oz of chopped chocolate and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until chocolate and butter are melted and smooth. 
Add sugar and salt and reduce heat to low. Cook while stirring for about one minute, until sugar starts to dissolve.
Remove pan from heat. Whisk in eggs, one at a time. The mixture will look smooth and glossy. 
Use mesh hand sieve to sift cocoa into mixture. This prevents lumps. Whisk until the cake batter is smooth
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes. The center of the cake should be just firm to the touch or it springs back to the touch. Be careful not to overbake the cake or it will come to dry. 
Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Inverts the cake on a plate.
To prepare the glaze, melt 3 oz of chopped semisweet and 1 ½ Tbsp of unsalted butter in the same saucepan you used to make the cake. When melted and smooth, remove the pan from the heat. Add milk and honey and vanilla and stir until smooth and glossy. Let the glaze cool for 3 minutes before pouring it on to the cake.
Pour all of the glaze in the middle of the cake. Use a silicone or rubber spatula to spread the glaze evenly over the cake allowing the glaze to evenly run down the sides. 
Serves 6 






Hope everyone has a great week!!! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
designed with love by beautiful dawn designs