Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Humming Birds

Hello everyone! I hope everyone has had a good start to your week. It has been so beautiful and cool in the past couple of days, and around here, that's a great thing because we get grueling hot summers. So this has been a good break from all that. Another exciting thing is, this weekend is balloon fest weekend. it would be nice if the weather stayed pretty so I can go take photos out in the park of the balloons. My church is sponsoring a balloon, so that should be so much fun.

Today, I am going to be sharing photos I took of humming birds. They are very tiny birds that migrate this way some time between June and July. According to wikipedia: 

Hummingbirds are birds that comprise the family Trochilidae. They are among the smallest of birds, most species measuring in the 7.5–13 cm (3–5 in) range. Indeed, the smallest extant bird species is a hummingbird, the 5-cm Bee Hummingbird. They can hover in mid-air by rapidly flapping their wings 12–90 times per second (depending on the species). They are also the only group of birds able to fly backwards.[1] Their English name derives from the characteristic hum made by their rapid wing beats. They can fly at speeds exceeding 15 m/s (54 km/h, 34 mi/h).[2]

These birds are so teeny tiny and they are hard to catch sitting still. But yesterday, I went to go see John's Grandma and Grandpa as I had promised I was going to take his picture for his 80th birthday and I just wanted to go see them and hang out for a while. Where John and I were sitting [as we were talking], was a window and a humming bird feeder infested with humming birds. See, I am crazy about these things!!! They are so cute I wish I could give them a hug. lol 

So I sat by the window and waited and waited for them to stop fighting and start eating and here's what I got:











And here is John's almost 80 year-old Grandpa. : ) He is very special. We call him DJ Rodg... Just because John always told me he used to be so uptight, but he has changed through the years. I have even taught the kids at church to call him DJ Rodg, I just thought it would be cute if they came up to him at church one morning and said, "Hi DJ Rodg!" I took a gazillion photos of him, but this one's my favorite.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
designed with love by beautiful dawn designs