Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Thankful Thoughts

For each new morning with its light,

For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have this poem in one of my older scrapbook pages, I came across it the other day as I was re-organizing my books. It warmed my heart. The page didn't look very nice [because it's one of those pages that makes you ask yourself, "what the heck was I thinking?"] but the poem caught my eye... almost made me teary. The page had pictures of John and I when I first moved  here and I was having a hard time adjusting and was just really homesick. John looked tired in the picture, probably from lack of sleep thinking of ways how to make me feel good about being here... and at the same time figuring out how he could make himself feel good about seeing me suffer. I wish I had the heart to take a pic of that atrocious page... Maybe one day I will. LOL

Anyway, as I was looking at the page, I remembered I am also following Ali Edwards' Thankful Thoughts. It always amazes me how some people's thankfulness is sooo contagious. I don't know Ali personally, but from reading her posts, you can feel that even if she's going through so much, the message in her posts radiates with such gratefulness, it makes you think of the million different things you have that you need to be thankful for. Ali also has free Thankful thoughts photo overlays and a photo mask with her posts so if you like digital stuff like I do, head on over to her site.  

The last five years has been a steep climb. Well mostly for me. I went from a fab language arts teacher to housewife; city girl in high heels and open toe shoes to small town girl and tennis shoes and sneakers; from flip flops to snow boots and thick coats half of the year; from the islands and sunsets at the beach to well, ALL LAND; and from the East to the West side of the world. Yes, I moved across the world to be with my Thankful Thought No. 001!


Now, I look back and I laugh. :) I am still homesick but I manage to stay composed. No more "I want to go home!" fits. I am still a housewife, although maybe not for long because I am currently working on getting certified to teach again, but I am enjoying every second of it especially being here when John gets home from work. The city girl in me is still trapped... but when time allows it, John and I would run off, book a hotel at the Sheraton or the Millenium Hotel in St Louis to set our city people spirits free. He isn't much of a city boy as I am a city girl but we have a great time. I think he enjoys the hotel more than he does the city, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I have come to love the small town, very laid back life but being that I was born in the chaos, the traffic, the fast-paced city life, I can't help but miss jaywalking (lol), the 24-hour sit down restaurants, being able to walk to places, cab rides, the bakeries that open at the crack of dawn, and outdoor cafes that are open all day and all night no matter what day of the week it is... rain or shine.

John is my thankful thought no. 001 and now, you know why. He is a gift from heaven. He has made a lot of impossible things, tangible. He brings the city to me when the small town becomes *yawn* ho-hum. I love him dearly for being all these things and more. I feel very very blessed every time I wake up in the morning and realize that I have a husband who tolerates all my silly tantrums, who makes me do whatever I want, whenever I want [within reason of course], and someone who thinks I look so cute when I am furious. You have got to love the husband who giggles while you are throwing a fit because he thinks you look so cute. He always says, "how could something so tiny and pretty be so hateful and mean?" and he gives me a kiss and a hug. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
designed with love by beautiful dawn designs